Founded in 1680, Onancock is a lovely bayside town with restaurants, galleries, shops, and a scenic town harbor. Known for its beautiful, Victorian-era homes, Onancock is perfect for strolling around while daydreams of becoming an HGTV phenomenon float through your head. Shop at local boutiques, paddleboard down Onancock Creek, or dine on local fare, there’s plenty to experience in Onancock, Virginia.
- Set Sail with Captain Tom and Joni Bunino down Onancock Creek with scenic views of wildlife, vegetation, and waterfront homes.
- Dine on perfectly prepared seafood at Mallards on the Wharf overlooking the creek.
- Walk through town to the park gazebo and listen to the crickets chirp and frogs croak.
- Relax at the Charlotte Hotel and Restaurant with your favorite fuzzy robe in a king-size bed.
photos courtesy of Levi Smith
Cruising down Onancock Creek, gazing at beautiful estates, flora, and the approaching bay is how Tom and Joni Bunino spend most of their days. Their Cat Boat, Gratitude, has been setting sail from the Onancock Town Wharf for 3 years.
photo courtesy of Levi Smith
Onancock Sailing Adventures offers 2-hour cruises during months May through October, where Captain Tom teaches passengers about the history of the area and the wildlife. Unwind and breathe in the salty air of the water. Explore the creek, learn about the area, and if you’re lucky, take control of the wheel for a few minutes.
photos courtesy of Levi Smith
Set sail around 6:30pm. Putt around the creek and make life-long memories with friends, loved ones, and the Captain. Watch the seahawks bring their babies supper at the top of the markers along the channel. Wave at locals cruising by on Carolina Skiffs and jet skis. Notice as the sky turns from yellow to orange, to pink, and everything in between. Observe kids race around waterfront yards as their weary parents unwind with a glass of wine.
Coming into the harbor around 8:30pm, hop-off Gratitude and walk the 10 paces to Mallards At the Wharf restaurant. Order the Clam Linguini and Jonny Mo’s “All Crab” Cakes. Watch the last hint of sunlight leave from over the bay while you savor dessert. Around 9:30, make your way up the street to the town gazebo and listen to the crickets chirp.
Walk a few more blocks to the Charlotte Hotel and Restaurant to rest your weary head. Shower, put on some fuzzy slippers, and snuggle in a king-size bed knowing in the morning you’re going to start your day off with a delicious, locally sourced breakfast.
Other remarkable things to do in Onancock, VA
- Burnham Guides Paddling Adventures: Rent a paddleboard, kayak, or bike to further explore the town or the creek.
- Bay Country Kayaking: Take a kayak eco-tour and learn more about the ecological, cultural, and historical significance of the water.
- Tangier Onancock Ferry: Ride the ferry out of Onancock to explore Tangier, a tiny island village, for the day.
- Ker Place: Tour one of the Shore’s major architectural landmarks, enjoy the beautiful gardens, and learn local history too!
- Eastern Shore Waterman’s Museum and Research Center: Discover the art and history of working on the water on the Eastern Shore.
- Samuel D. Outlaw Blacksmith Shop Memorial Museum: Learn about the Eastern Shore’s blacksmith and experience a rare, intact Blacksmith Shop.
- Roseland Theatre: Enjoy blockbuster movies at this old-timey movie theatre.
- The North Street Playhouse: Entertain yourself with locally produced comedies, tragedies, and more at this playhouse.
- The Onancock Market: Explore the town’s farmers market, complete with produce, breads, soaps, jewelry, and more!
For a complete guide of shops, restaurants, places to stay, and things to do, visit www.visitesva.com.